Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Honeymoon: London Part 1

Tower Bridge

E and I had a lovely time in London. We tried to fit in as much as possible but there is too much to do! Here's some of what we did get done.





Downing Street


Can't really see number 10 from the street, at least not with the gates closed. 

Trafalgar Square/National Gallery

This is where Londoners like to gather to ring in New Years for this view (so I'm told).


This is also where they are counting down to the 2012 Olympics!



Most of the museums in London are free including this one. We went in for a quick look. They have paintings from da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Cezanne, Monet, van Gogh, Rembrandt, and Botticelli to name a few.


Tower of London

I love history so this was fun for me. The first part of the castle was built in 1066. It has a moat, twisty stair cases, and jewels, just like I imagined castles would in my younger days. We took a guided tour which was fun since the guides are funny. I don't have many pictures from the Tower of London since I was so interested in everything. I didn't really think to take any pictures. The one place I really wanted to take a picture of was in the chapel but they don't allow it. 

Tower Bridge

We drover across the bridge and got to see it up close. It is really beautiful.


Westminster Abbey

You know what I found out when I arrived in London? They are having some fancy wedding here at the end of April. I think it's a good choice of location. I also found out that they charge you to go into the churches. The museums are free but not the churches. The complete opposite of what I've found everywhere else I've gone.

Parliament


This is a stunning building. The inside is beautiful as well. We didn't get a full tour of it but we did get to get some snazzy badges made and go watch the House of Commons debate. I'm nerdy so I thought it was really cool.


Buckingham Palace

We went in the evening and I pretended that the one light on in the front is the castle was in the Queen's room. I gave her a quick wave. It's a cool place to see since it's the Queen's main residence but it's not that interesting of a place to see visually, at least to me. 

Thames River

We took a little cruise down the river got to see the Globe Theater and enjoyed the city from a different perspective.





Hyde Park

Yeah that's for real. Riders with top hats taking a morning trot thru the park.


This is most of what we saw in the city. I will be back with what we did when we took a little trip outside the city.




No comments:

Post a Comment